Invisalign is becoming an increasingly popular orthodontic treatment for those who want to straighten their teeth. Unlike traditional braces, Invisalign uses nearly invisible clear aligners, making it a discreet option for adults who may feel self-conscious about wearing braces.
One of the most common questions patients have about Invisalign is whether there is an age limit for the treatment. The good news is there is no age limit for Invisalign. Many adults choose Invisalign over traditional braces because they’re discreet.
What Is Invisalign?
Invisalign is a teeth straightening treatment using clear plastic aligners to gradually shift your teeth into the desired position. The aligners are custom-made for each patient and replaced with a new set every 2 weeks throughout the treatment.
Invisalign works by putting pressure on specific teeth to move them into their proper position. Patients wear each set of aligners until they’ve done their job, then move on to the next set until the treatment is complete.
What Makes Invisalign Different
Invisalign differs from traditional braces by a few key features:
- Invisalign aligners are clear, making them a nearly invisible alternative to traditional metal braces.
- Invisalign liners are also removable so you can take them out while eating, drinking, brushing, and flossing, making them easier to clean and care for.
- Invisalign aligners are made to fit your teeth precisely, ensuring maximum comfort and effectiveness.
Convenience & Comfort
Invisalign is a convenient and comfortable option compared to traditional braces, because:
- You can still enjoy all your favourite foods without worrying about damaging your braces or getting food stuck between the brackets and wires.
- You can brush and floss your teeth normally, promoting your oral hygiene.
- The aligners are smooth and comfortable, so you won’t experience irritation or discomfort from brackets and wires.
How Old Do You Have to Be to Get Invisalign?
Invisalign treatment is suitable for both adults and teenagers, especially those with mild to moderate orthodontic issues. The age range for Invisalign treatment generally starts from ages 6 to 10, when all permanent teeth have emerged. However, some younger patients who have lost all their baby teeth may also qualify.
Factors that can affect your eligibility for Invisalign treatment include:
- The severity of the orthodontic issue
- The patient’s commitment to wear the aligners consistently
- The patient’s ability to follow instructions for care and maintenance
Benefits of Invisalign for Adults
Invisalign has become more popular among adults. This is because they are:
- Virtually invisible, making them an ideal option for those with professional or social obligations.
- Removable, allowing patients to eat and drink normally without worrying about food getting stuck in traditional braces.
- Generally more comfortable than traditional braces, as they have no metal brackets or wires that could cause irritation.
- Faster than traditional braces, with most patients achieving desired results in 12–18 months.
Myths & Facts About Invisalign
Myth #1: Invisalign Is Only Effective for Mild to Moderate Orthodontic Issues
Invisalign has been proven effective in treating more complex orthodontic issues, such as overbite, underbite, and crossbite.
Myth #2: Invisalign Is Too Expensive
While Invisalign treatment may cost more than traditional braces, many dental insurance plans cover some or all of the cost. Additionally, some orthodontists offer flexible payment plans to help make treatment more affordable.
Myth #3: Invisalign Is Only for Teenagers
Invisalign is suitable for adults and teenagers alike. In fact, many adults prefer Invisalign over traditional braces because of its discreet appearance and minimal impact on daily activities.
Myth #4: Invisalign Doesn’t Work as Well as Traditional Braces
Invisalign has consistently been shown to be just as effective as traditional braces in achieving desired results.
The Invisalign Treatment Process
The Invisalign treatment process is a bit different than that of traditional braces:
- Initial consultation: During the first visit, your Invisalign provider will evaluate your teeth and determine if you are a good candidate for the treatment.
- Digital scanning: Using Invisalign’s iTero Element scanner, your dentist will capture a series of images of your teeth, which are stitched together to create a 3D model. This model is the blueprint for your custom-made aligners.
- Road map: Using Invisalign’s ClinCheck software, your dentist will fine-tune the shift of every tooth to create a road map of your teeth as you straighten your smile. Once this road map is developed, your dentist will show you a preview of the completed treatment so you can see the results before you even begin.
- Production: Once your road map is complete, your dentist will send that information to Invisalign, where a series of clear aligners are created specifically tailored to your mouth and dental needs. You will need to wear your aligners for 20–22 hours per day, wear each set between 1–2 weeks, and attend regular check-ups to monitor your progress and make adjustments.
- Treatment completion: Once your teeth have reached their desired alignment, you must wear a retainer to maintain your smile.
It’s important to choose a qualified Invisalign provider. Our team of experienced dental professionals has undergone extensive training and will work with you throughout the treatment process.
Transform Your Smile with Invisalign
Invisalign is a popular orthodontic treatment that is suitable for adults of all ages and offers numerous benefits over traditional braces. If you’re interested in Invisalign, schedule a consultation with Riverwalk Dental to learn how this innovative treatment can straighten your smile and improve your bite.